In furthering its mission, ABAC is pleased to provide access to the traditional tools and equipment used in book production. ABAC is home to a fully-equipped bindery and letterpress printshop.
2017 Open Studio schedule:
Available BINDERY equipment includes a: 32″ board shear, paper guillotine, Kwikprint, various nipping presses, and sewing frames.
Presses in the PRINTSHOP include: a No.4 Vandercook, SP15 Vandercook, Universal I Vandercook, 8×12 Chandler and Price platen jobber, and several tabletop platen presses.
RATES and TIMES:
- The rate is $10/hour. Payment is due at the time of use.
- A monthly rate is available at $150, payable the first or the fifteenth day of each calendar month and shall not be pro-rated. Monthly renters will be provided with a small storage space.
- Note: Open Studio rental is a benefit available only to current ABAC members. Please click here for membership information.
- Approved studio renters must sign-up in advance using the ABAC Google calendar for Studio Rental. Login information will be provided by ABAC. Renters are asked to provide 24 hour notice for any cancellations.
- Studio renters must have taken a relevant class at ABAC, i.e. if you wish to use the board shear, you must have taken a class where the board shear was used. Others with previous experience may be approved by ABAC staff on a case-by-case basis.
- In addition to successfully completing a letterpress workshop at ABAC, anyone wishing to use the presses in the printshop during Open Studio, must also take the 3 hour Printshop Renter Training that is regularly scheduled. Please click here for scheduled Printshop Renter Training Workshops.
- Stewards are available to supervise and assist renters in the space, though Open Studio rental under supervision must not be confused with private instruction.
- Approved studio renters will be required to sign an acknowledgement of receipt of all policies and guidelines, as well as a release of liability.
Please email email@example.com to become an approved Studio renter and receive the Google Calendar login info.